Monday, May 21

Wonton Time!

I went to a little place called Wonton Time with my mom for lunch last October, but have only found the time to publish now. This place is so memorable that I can taste the wonton soup in my mouth right now. True to their name there are only three options on the menu: noodle soup, lo mein, and plain wonton with soup. With each option there are three topping options: shrimp wonton, sliced beef, and fish balls. You can also get any two combos of the three toppings, or, if you're feeling really hungry, all three at once.

I walked in and we were ushered to a small table next to the wall. On the walls the menus are reprinted (only in Chinese) and also pictures of Wonton Time in Hong Kong. My mom informed me this was "Hong Kong Style" which I took to mean simple menus specializing in one thing. We each got a bowl of noodle soup with wontons, and I also ordered a side of vegetables with oyster sauce.

The soup was fragrant and clear, and the noodles were also good. The wontons were pretty big. My mom told me my granduncle refused to eat there because they only used shrimp in their wontons, with no meat at all. This was pretty extravagant, I thought. The shrimp filling made the texture of the wontons different than what I was used to. It was good, but eventually became monotonous without the variation of the meat filling.

I'd definitely eat there again when I have the craving for wonton soup, and I recommend getting the vegetables with oyster sauce, which only cost $2 and taste so good with my wonton soup. I prefer this place over industry standard Sam Woo, which can be noisy, and not as flavorful.

I liked the way the restaurant decided to specialize in wonton soup. That way you knew what to get there, and there was no fuss about it. It's also a cheap option for lunch in the SG valley, running about $4 for a nice-sized bowl of noodles.


Wonton Time
19 E. Valley Blvd.
Alhambra, CA 91801
(626) 293-3366
Mon - Sun 11:00AM to 9:00PM

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds yummy. i love soup, especially wontons!

7:44 AM  
Blogger dealinhoz said...

hello there, have you tried wonton mein in Hong Kong? Although this place is probably the best there is in SGV, they still don't compare to HK. The size of WT's wontons are great... but again, that pork is so critical! I love to douse my soup w/ their special chili oil (which i buy for home usage) and red vinegar. And they do a good job cooking the noodles al-dente which is impt for this dish. Good review.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home