Sunday, August 5

Real Food Daily

Real Food Daily should change its name to Real Good Food Daily. Or just plain Good Food Daily. This vegan restaurant provides healthy and organic food complete with modest proportions and quality ingredients. The dishes look very beautiful and the descriptions written on the menu are detailed and alluring.



I started off my dinner with a nori maki starter plate (pictured above). On the menu it sounded incredible: avocado, tempeh, collard greens, and much much more. However, when I actually tasted it, I was initially disappointed. I found myself dipping it heavily in soy sauce for taste. But then I discovered that each piece was more delectably enjoyable by eating it via small bites. Doing so helped me taste each individual ingredient. Eating it whole actually masks any flavor save for a faint seaweed taste--which made sense as none of the ingredients tasted exceptionally strong aside from the seaweed.

After the starter plate, my friend and I were served our main courses. He had a tofu wrap made from a spinach tortilla that holds an overflow of tofu.



It looked delicious! I only had a tiny bite of a grilled tofu piece from the wrap itself, but it was a rather promising bite. My friend reported that the tofu wrap is one of his standbys at RFD.

My main course was one of the restaurant's weekly July specials: the Bollywood Special.





The Bollywood Special was a curry dish served with rice and spinach. Included with the special was a piece of chapati (a type of flatbread) and mango chutney. The curry barely hinted at being spicy, but it was chock full of vegetables and taste. It was good! The overall combination with the brown rice and soft spinach made my meal extremely appetizing. The chapati by itself is best described as floury. The two sides of the bread provided a great texture twist for the tongue. The top portion (pictured) was tough and dry. The other side, however, was moist and malleable. A dip into the curry made the bread extremely satisfying. The mango chutney was slightly sweet with a tinge of onion taste. I noticed that oil was mixed with the chutney, which leads me to believe that it is of the stored variety and not freshly made.

Although I did not eat this during this trip there, I need to add that the Living Wrap is amazing. Upon my first bite of it, I found myself enjoying a mix of flavors and zest that I did not know could work together so well. Tasty and colorful, the Living Wrap is my standby at RFD.

Overall, this place is worth the time and money. It runs slightly expensive for its portions but the service is attentive and the food is as inventive as it is tasty (which is, very). I went to RFD's Santa Monica location, which I find to be a bit cramped, but that is the only woe I find there.

Real Food Daily
514 Santa Monica Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90401
(310) 451-7544
website
Mon - Sun 11:30AM to 10:00PM

414 N. La Cienega Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90048
(310) 289-9910
website
Sun - Thu 11:30AM to 10:00PM
Fri - Sat 11:30AM to 11:00PM
Sunday Brunch 10:00AM to 3:00PM

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home